|Recipe By:||Claire Winstanley|
|Serves:||8 mini pies|
|Cooking Time:||30 minutes|
|Prep Time:||20 minutes|
- 100 g Oak Smoked Stanford cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 sheet Woolworths Frozen All Butter Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
- 3 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 250 ml demerara sugar
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 300 ml full cream milk
- 40 g flour
- 45 g unsalted butter
Woolworths is committed to sustainability via our good business journey. Seasonal (and other) products might not always be in stock.
- To make the caramelized onions, place the thinly sliced onion into a low-medium heated pan and slowly cook until all the onion softens, roughly 10 minutes. At this point add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- To make the cheese filling, start by warming the milk in a saucepan. In a separate saucepan melt the butter. Once the butter has melted add the flour whisking continuously. Slowly begin adding the milk whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Once all the milk has been added reduce the heat and whisk for a further 5 minutes to cook the flour. The sauce will be quite thick at this stage. Add the cheese and chives and remove from the heat. Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line an oven tray with baking paper. Cut 4 equal squares out of the puff pastry. Mix the onions with the cheese filling and spoon into the centre of each square. Brush the edges of the pastry with the mixed egg and fold up and seal pressing down with a fork. Place the pies onto a lined tray and bake until puffed and golden, roughly 15 minutes.
You could enjoy this recipe too
Buy the ingredients
Add to Cart