|Recipe By:||Nina Timm|
|Serves:||4 to 6|
|Cooking Time:||15 minutes|
|Cook's Tips:||I have found that, because chicken dries out so quickly, the heat to grill it must be intense, but your grid must be high above the coals. The chicken kebabs will be ready in no time.|
|Serving Suggestion:||Serve on a bed of warm couscous with roasted veggies.|
|Prep Time:||20 minutes|
- 1Kg chicken breasts, skin and boneless
- 12 to 15 pickling onions, peeled and halved
- 12 dried Turkish apricots
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds (alternatively, use yellow mustard seeds)
- 2 pods cardamom, crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp Coriander seeds, toasted & crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp turmeric, ground
- 2 tsp White sugar
- 50 ml cold water
- 100ml vinegar
- 1.5 g pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
Woolworths is committed to sustainability via our good business journey. Seasonal (and other) products might not always be in stock.
- Crush all of the dry seeds with a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the dry seeds. Fry the seeds for a few seconds just to release all the volatile oils and then add the onion, ginger, garlic, curry and garam masala.
- Fry the onions until they are soft. Add the water, vinegar and sugar and let the marinade cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Taste and season accordingly. What you want is a sweet, tangy, spicy marinade. Let the marinade cool down completely.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and as soon as the marinade has cooled down, add the chicken, pickling onions and apricots to the marinade. Use a plastic or earthenware bowl for this. Keep refrigerated for at least a couple of ours…overnight is best.
- If you are using wooden skewers to assemble the kebabs, soak them in water overnight to prevent them from burning.
- When you're ready to grill the kebabs, skewer the chicken onto the skewers with pieces of onion and apricots in between.
- Grill and serve immediately.
You could enjoy this recipe too
Buy the ingredients
Add to Cart