Get to know your bubbles
It’s that time of year when every summer’s day is reason enough to celebrate. At Woolies, we’re passionate about bubbles – whether it’s Brut or Sweet, Spumante or Prosecco, we have it all. We source from across the world as well as what’s best locally so you can celebrate with style.
You can drink your favourite bubbly on it's own, serve it as a pre-dinner drink to wake up the taste buds, or use it as a cocktail mixer for extra punch.
GRAHAM BECK BRUT ROSÉ NON-VINTAGE
Peter “Bubbles” Ferreira has been a Cap Classique icon for 30 years and has made Graham an internationally admired brand. Has he found his perfect bubble yet? He says it still eludes him, but his expertise and experience shows in every bubble in every bottle that comes out of his cellar.
WOOLWORTHS VILLIERA BRUT MCC NON-VINTAGE
Jeff Grier of Villiera has produced this great-value sparkling wine for Woolworths for more than 30 years. Along with the classic Champagne-method grapes of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, Jess uses up to 20% Pinotage, which gives the wine an extra berry fruitiness. Stellenbosch make many excellent wines but they are particularly proud of their MCCs.
WOOLWORTHS SIMONSIG PINOT NOIR NO SULPHUR ADDED MCC 2018
Wine lovers might expect a Cap Classique made entirely from a red grape to be rich and full-bodied, but gentle handling of carefully chosen Stellenbosch Pinot Noir has resulted in this delicate Cap Classique. A pale silver-pink colour leads to strawberry, raspberry and dried stone fruit along with light biscuit on the nose. It's a good partner for sushi and a great addition to your picnic basket.
LE LUDE RESERVE ROSÉ NON-VINTAGE
This blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir opens with raspberry, red cherry and wild plum, followed by a rich palate with layers of berry fruits and hints of grapefruit. It's a classic sparkling wine that will suit any celebration.
ASTORIA PROSECCO NON-VINTAGE
Prosecco currently outsells Champagne globally and the Astoria, from the Veneto region in northern Italy, is a typical example of why the Italians are outdoing the French among bubbly lovers.
KNOW YOUR BUBBLY
- SPARKLING WINE: Any wine that has a bubble in it.
- CHAMPAGNE: Wines made in the Champagne region of France using the “Champagne method”, in which wine is fermented a second time in the bottle. Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier are the only grapes that may be used.
- MÉTHODE CAP CLASSIQUE (MCC): A South African name for sparkling wines made using the Champagne method, most often using Chardonnay and/or Pinot Noir.
- CAVA AND PROSECCO: Champagne-method sparkling wines, the former from Spain and the latter from northern Italy.
HOW TO OPEN AND POUR BUBBLY LIKE A PRO
- Open bubbly bottles with extreme care. Aim the bottle away from your face (and anyone else’s), hold the cork and gently rotate the bottle to ease it out.
- To prevent your glass from bubbling over with foam, tilt it and pour a small amount down the inside, let it settle, then fill the glass.
- A tulip-shaped flute allows you the exhilarating sight of the tiny bubbles racing up the glass, as well as concentrating the bouquet at the top
- Bounce a diamond ring around the base of the inside of your flute glasses to roughen the surface and ensure a spectacular mousse.
Methode Cap Classique
Made in the Veneto region of Italy, Prosecco is an Italian sparkling wine that in recent years, has become equally popular to champagne. It is meant to be lighter than champagne with hints of fruit and light flowers.