We’re having chocolate for breakfast
There’s toast, and then there’s toast with our easy homemade chocolate spread and raspberry jam. Get ready for some toastmastery.
- For the hazelnut spread:
- Hazelnuts: 150 g
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- Cocoa powder: 1–2 tablespoons
- Maple syrup: ¼ cup OR dates: 12, chopped
- For the raspberry jam:
- Fresh raspberries: 500 g
- Caster sugar: 225 g
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Seeded toast, to serve
- Roast the hazelnuts at 180°C for 5–10 minutes until golden brown all over. Add a pinch of salt for salted hazelnut spread. Remove from the oven, and while still hot, place in a blender or food processor and blend until they start to form a paste. This will take about 10–15 minutes. Stop the blender every minute or so and push the nuts down the sides using a spatula.
- Add the remaining ingredients and 1–2 tablespoons of water and blend until you reach the desired consistency. Using dates will result in a grainer texture.
- To make the raspberry jam, cook all the ingredients over a high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Spread the toast with a generous scoop of hazelnut spread and top with a spoonful of raspberry jam. Store the leftover jam and hazelnut spread in sterilised jars for up to 5 days in the fridge.
No time for DIY?