|Cooking Time:||25 minutes, plus chilling time|
|Prep Time:||15 minues|
- flour, for dusting
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 kg kingklip, butterflied, or deep-sea hake fillets, cut into portions
- 300 g sugar
- 1 ltr white vinegar
- 1 tsp whole cumin or cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander seeds, toasted & crushed
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tsp Tumeric
- 5 tsp mild curry powder
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 onions, cut into thin rings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, to drizzle
Woolworths is committed to sustainability via our good business journey. Seasonal (and other) products might not always be in stock.
- In a stainless-steel saucepan over a medium heat, add 1 T oil and, when hot, gently sauté the onion until translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and spices and fry gently for a few minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, dust the fish with the seasoned flour and pat off any excess.
- Heat 1 T oil in a heavy-based frying pan and, when hot, fry the fish until golden but still succulent.
- Place a layer of fish in a deep sterile glass or non-metallic container and pour a little of the hot sauce over it, to cover. Continue layering fish and sauce until all the fish is covered. Cool, then chill until ready to serve.