|Recipe By:||Phillippa Cheifitz|
|Cooking Time:||1 1/4 hours|
|Prep Time:||20 minutes|
- baby spinach leaves, to garnish
- cooked rice,for serving
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated, for sprinkling
- 1 cup good quality beef stock
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 x 400 g Italian tomatoes in juice
- 500 g free-range beef
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 Woolworths exotic brinjals
Woolworths is committed to sustainability via our good business journey. Seasonal (and other) products might not always be in stock.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Thinly slice the brinjals lengthways, then place in a bowl and mix by hand with the olive oil. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until tender. Season lightly.
- Meanwhile, gently cook the onion in 2 T olive oil, then stir in the garlic. Increase the heat and add the mince. Keep stirring to break up the mince until the meat changes colour.
- Crush the tomatoes using a potato masher, then add to the meat with the oregano and season to taste. Add the stock, cover and reduce the heat. Simmer, stirring now and again, for 40 minutes, or until very tender. Check the seasoning.
- Remove the mince using a slotted spoon and set aside. Reduce the cooking liquid over a high heat until thick.
- Increase the oven’s temperature to 200°C. To assemble, place a layer of brinjal – about a third – in a 1-litre oiled baking dish. Cover with a layer of mince. Repeat with the remaining brinjals and mince. Spoon over the reduced cooking liquid and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned.
- Serve with rice or risoni and garnish with baby spinach.
Buy the ingredients
What to buy
Add to Cart