How to picnic like a pro
Sun’s out, time to activate picnic mode. We’ve got the inside track on how to picnic like a pro – head for the deli section…
The rules of this picnic are: 1. No soggy sandwiches. 2. Our salad must actually pack some punch (and crunch).
For rule number 1:
- Choose a base. Baguettes and bagels are sog-proof!
- Choose a spread – go for dips, they have less moisture and more flavour. Try the Woolworths Avocado & Pea Dip or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
- Choose something that crunches: think sliced radish, gherkins and watercress.
For rule number 2:
- Step 1: no lettuce. (No lettuce = no wilting.) Try blanched Brussels sprouts instead.
- Step 2: choose something with a bit of heft as your base – like boiled baby potatoes.
- Step 3: make a fuss-free dressing (mix 2 tablespoons olive oil with 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and off you go). Toss to coat.
- Step 4: Bring on the crunch – add thinly sliced red onion.
- Step 5: Add that something extra – like smoked trout ribbons – to make it special.
- Step 6: Grab a fork!
And if you’re still looking to broaden the spread, add a few fish terrines, more cured meat and piles of crackers. Now get out your picnic blanket and go.