Siba's caramel popcorn ice cream cake
You love salted caramel popcorn. You love chocolate and you love ice cream. Put them all together and what have you got? The summer ice cream cake of your dreams, brought to you by TASTEtube and the spectacular Siba Mtongana.
Caramel popcorn ice cream cake
To make the caramel popcorn:
- Place 400 g sugar and ½ cup honey in a saucepan.
- Heat gently, swirling the pan every few minutes until the sugar has melted.
- Once melted, bring to a boil for a few minutes until it is deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, take two containers of Woolworths Cookies & Cream ice cream from the freezer and allow to thaw slightly.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and add 125 g butter and ½ cup milk.
- Whisk until they are completely incorporated, then return to the heat.
- Allow the caramel to bubble for 5–10 minutes until it has thickened a little.
- Mix 200 g popped salted popcorn with the caramel and ¼ teaspoon salt and stir until well coated.
- Allow to cool, then press into a 25 cm cake tin.
- Melt 500 g dark chocolate in a double-boiler, then stir in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the popcorn to create a barrier between the ice cream and popcorn, reserving some.
- Spoon the slightly thawed ice cream into the tin and level with a spoon dipped into hot water.
- Return to the freezer for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and use a kitchen cloth soaked in hot water wrapped around the cake tin to help release the ice cream cakes from their tins.
- Stack on a cake stand and top with the caramel popcorn.
- Serve drizzled with the reserved melted chocolate, a drizzle of lemon curd and fresh raspberries.
Not planning on cooking much this summer?