Make pasta and meatballs with kids
Let’s make pasta and meatballs
For the tomato sauce:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
200 g leeks, washed and roughly chopped
2 onions, roughly chopped
Salt to taste
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
1 cup white wine (optional*)
1 cup beef stock
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
800 g can whole peeled tomatoes, blended
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
(*If you omit the wine, just double the quantity of beef stock.)
For the meatballs:
3 slices white bread, crusts removed
1 cup milk
500 g lean beef mince
500 g pork mince
1 grated red onion
4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
50 g finely grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons olive oil
For the pasta:
500 g tagliatelle pasta, cooked
Parmesan, for serving
Fresh basil, to garnish
To make the sauce:
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and onions, and cook until soft, seasoning with salt.
2. Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme, and cook for 3 minutes, then pour in the wine. Reduce the wine by half, then add the beef stock, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with pepper.
3. Cook, covered, over a low heat for 45 minutes.
To make the meatballs:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Soak the bread in the milk. Squeeze out excess milk and place in a large bowl. Add the mince, onion, parsley and Parmesan, and season to taste.
2. Mix together using your hands. Roll into 20 small balls or 15 larger ones.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Brown the meatballs in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. 4. Arrange the meatballs on a baking tray and finish in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Now, assemble the troops!
Place the pasta in a serving dish. Mix the meatballs and tomato sauce, and spoon over the pasta. Serve with Parmesan and garnish with basil.
In a rush? Try our delicious Good stuff range of kids’ meals, a great way for the mom or dad on the run to get some yummy food into those little bellies.