2 Amazing fillings for amagwinya
If this is your introduction to amagwinya, then man are you in for a treat – one savoury, one sweet, both highly memorable. And what’s more, the Lazy Makoti makes it so easy!
Basic amagwinya recipe:
- Flour: 4 cups
- Dry yeast: 2 teaspoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Sugar: 2 teaspoon
- Lukewarm water: 1 1/2 cups
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Woolworths Chocolate Mousse, for serving
- Sift the flour, yeast, salt and sugar into a bowl. Add the water and stir until well combined.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch down the dough and knead for a minute. Divide into small balls.
- Set aside on a tray in a warm place and leave to double in size once more, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Check the temperature from time to time by dropping a small piece of dough into the oil. It should cook through without browning too quickly.
- When the oil is ready, add 2–3 dough balls and cook for 3 minutes, turning halfway. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Cook the remaining dough in the same way. Place each ball on onto a small skewer.
For the sweet filling:
- Ripe plums
- Coconut oil, for brushing
- Sea salt, to taste
- Honey: 2 tablespoons
- Ground cinnamon: 1 tablespoon
- Pecan nuts: 1/4 cup, chopped
- To make the grilled plums, cut the plums in half and remove the stones.
- Brush with coconut oil, sprinkle with sea salt and grill cut side down on a griddle pan for 15 minutes or until softened.
- Combine the honey and cinnamon and mix well. Allow the plums to cool slightly, then drizzle over the cinnamon and honey. Top with the chopped pecans and serve immediately with the amagwinya and chocolate mousse.
Savoury sweetcorn-and-cheese filling:
- Whole corn kernels: 1 x 340 g can
- Fresh coriander: 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- Green chilli: 1, finely chopped
- Cheddar: ½ cup, grated
- Gouda: ½ cup, grated
- Salt, to taste
Heat the sweetcorn in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients until the cheese is melted. Serve with the amagwinya.
Not into baking it yourself?