This deep-fried mushroom burger will blow your mind
Is this the ultimate mushroom burger? We would like to argue that it is. We have stuffed it (with a 3-cheese mixture no less), we’ve crumbed it and we’ve deep-fried it. Sound good? Then you need to try it out as soon as possible.
- 400 g brown mushrooms
- Canola oil, for deep frying
- 140 g flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- 4–6 hamburger rolls, halved and toasted
- Hummus, to serve
- Lettuce, to serve
- Sliced Cheddar cheese, to serve
- Sliced gherkins, to serve
- Basil pesto, to serve
- Pickled onions, to serve
- Mayonnaise, to serve
- Woolworths Nut & Seed Sprinkle, to serve
For the stuffing:
- 2 T cream cheese
- 3 T ricotta
- 2 T basil pesto
- 1 cup Gouda, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the cheese stuffing, combine the ricotta , cream cheese, Gouda and basil pesto and seasoning and mix well.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms . Stuff the mushrooms with the cheese mixture, making sure you fill them well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, the ideal temperature is 180°C. Coat each mushroom patty in the seasoned flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Double coat if you want a larger, crispier patty.
- Deep fry the mushroom patties until golden brown, then drain on kitchen paper.
- To assemble the burgers, start with the base of the buns. Spread with hummus, add the lettuce, mushroom patty, cheese, gherkins, basil pesto and pickled onions. Spread the tops of the buns with mayonnaise and place on top. Sprinkle with the nut & seed sprinkle. Serve with crispy fries on the side.
Keen to try more mushroom dishes?