You need to try this magical meatball pie
What happens when you take a batch of Easy to Cook frikkadels, add some cheese and top them with readymade puff pastry? Magic, that’s what. Meatball pie magic, to be precise.
The meatball pie:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Pan fry Easy to Cook frikkadels in a splash of olive oil until golden brown.
- Add readymade tomato & basil sauce and simmer for a minute or two, then set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle the frikkadels with pieces of Gouda or Cheddar.
- To make the pie, take 2 sheets of readymade all-butter puff pastry while still almost frozen and slice into thick, even strips.
- Arrange and overlap the strips over the warm frikkadels to form a rustic lattice-style pie-crust.
- Brush quickly with egg wash. Sprinkle with sea salt and black onion seeds.
- Bake the pie until golden brown and cooked through, about 20–30 minutes.
- Serve with garlicky mash and your favourite greens. Second helpings encouraged!