Your secret entertaining superhero
For all those times when unexpected guests drop in, or you’ve simply run out of time to throw something together for a party, we present: the entertainer’s secret superhero ingredient: puff pastry. Try these easy recipes – one sweet, one savoury, both delicious.
Fennel and smoked cheese tart:
- Pan fry halved baby fennel bulbs in butter and honey until tender.
- Cut a border around the edges of a sheet of thawed puff pastry.
- Brush with egg and milk wash.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds and grated smoked Stanford cheese.
- Top with honeyed fennel, then bake at 200°C for 20–30 minutes until golden brown.
- Drizzle with honey and enjoy!
- Cut thawed puff pastry into 9 squares.
- Push into a greased muffin tray and brush with egg and milk wash.
- Sprinkle with sugar and add a few blueberries to each pastry square.
- Bake at 200°C for 20–25 minutes until cooked through.
- Swirl fresh custard into mascarpone.
- Spoon over the berry puffs, sprinkle with crystallised edible flowers and dig in!
No time for DIY?