Up your cheese platter game
Party season is coming in hard, which means it’s time to up your entertaining game. But no heavy lifting please – keep it light and easy with a gorgeous vertical cheese platter. Bring on the cheese!
Spun sugar vertical cheese platter
- Place 500 g sugar and ½ cup water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and boil for 7 minutes. (Be careful here, hot sugar can burn like the blazes.)
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then dip the tines of 2 forks into the sugar and drizzle the thin, sticky strands over an upturned bowl to form an upside down nest shape.
- Let the sugar set then remove.
- Fill the nest with your favourite cheeses, like Red Fox (a full-fat hard cheese), Vintage Cheddar, Oak-smoked Stanford, Boland Blue (a semi-soft blue mould cheese), cream cheese roulade with raspberry and pink peppercorns and the festive, star-shaped Wensleydale with cranberries (a semi-hard cheese blended with cranberries).
- Serve with fresh blueberries, honey and caramelised onion squares. Eat up!