These marinades will make you braai royalty
From the perfect basting for steaks and burgers to the ultimate sticky sauce for chicken wings, you won’t want to miss out on these delicious yet simple marinades. Get ready to nail it at your next bring-and-braai.
Smokey shisa nyama marinade
Using a pestle and mortar, grind 30 g toasted smoked Spanish paprika, 1 tablespoon toasted coriander seeds and 1 tablespoon toasted garlic flakes. Add to a cast iron pan on the fire along with ½ cup tomato purée, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, 50 g brown sugar, and fresh thyme. Bring to a simmer and then keep warm on the fire to use and baste while you braai – this marinade is ideal for steaks and burger patties.
Sticky apricot marinade:
- In a saucepan, combine 1 can smooth apricot jam, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons mild curry powder, ¼ cup soy sauce, ½ teaspoon chilli powder, the zest and juice of 1 lemon and 10 g fresh thyme.
- Melt together for a minute or two, remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly and drizzle over 12 free range chicken wings.
- Leave to marinate overnight (putting everything together in a Ziploc bag works well) in the fridge.
- Grill the chicken wings on the braai, basting regularly for that perfectly sticky finish.
- Tip: this marinade is also delicious with fish!
In the mood to braai?