- 1.5 kg oxtail
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 carrots,roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp sugar for the egg whites
- 500 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Woolworths is committed to sustainability via our good business journey. Seasonal (and other) products might not always be in stock.
- In a large pot, brown the beef in a splash of oil. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Fry the onions, carrots and celery until soft and fragrant then add the garlic, bay leaf and fresh thyme.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and allow to simmer for 5 minutes before adding back the oxtail.
- Pour in the red wine and beef stock then season.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat then allow to simmer for 3-4 hours or until the oxtail is meltingly tender, checking on it every 30 minutes or so to ensure the stew hasn't dried out.
- Add more stock if necessary.
- Serve the oxtail with rice/mash/polenta.