|Recipe By:||Alida Ryder|
|Prep Time :||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time :||2 1/2 hours|
|Serving Suggestion :||Serve with jasmine rice.|
1. Cut through the fat of each piece of lamb neck as this will prevent it from curling up during cooking.
2. In a large pot, brown the lamb in batches. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pot, fry the onions until soft and golden.
4. Add the garlic and spices and fry for another minute before adding the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are softened and their juices have been released.
5. Add the lamb back to the pot and stir to coat the lamb with the tomatoes and spices.
6. Combine the stock, tomato puree and apricot jam and pour over the lamb. You need enough to just cover the lamb. Add the bay leaves.
7. Reduce the heat, cover and allow to simmer gently for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the lamb can be pulled from the bone.
8. Check the seasoning and adjust, it needs to be pleasantly sweet. Serve with the cooked Jasmine Rice.
- 2Kg lamb neck
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala or curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp white sugar plus extra for sprinkling in ramekins
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved or 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 750ml chicken/ vegetable stock
- 1 410g tin tomato puree (not paste)
- 3 Tbsp apricot jam
- 3 bay leaves
- jasmine rice to serve
Woolworths is committed to sustainability via our good business journey. Seasonal (and other) products might not always be in stock.